Today, I thought it might be fun to share the process of creating Bertie’s cover.
Last spring, I was at my niece’s place and snapped a bunch of photos of her sweet hubby, their dogs, cows, and horses.
Then I landed upon the idea for Amanda to pose for a few potential covers for me.
So we walked out to a pasture and I started taking photos.
When I decided to write Bertie’s story, I knew this one would work perfectly.
It just needed a little tweaking. So I removed part of the fence, added more grass, and of course the bright orange irrigation dam had to disappear. I also brightened the color, just a tad.
I also gave Amanda blond hair.
I liked the color and pattern of Amanda’s shirt, so I used it as the basis for Bertie’s dress.
I found an online photo of a period-appropriate dress I liked and worked it into the cover, then added a wide sash to tie the shirt and skirt together. You’ll notice a mule I added in this photo, but decided it looked more like a donkey.
And I ended up using this bouquet of daisies. The others looked a little too straggly.
This is Riley.
And Steve the mule. (You’ll really like meeting him!)
I added a pretty title box with Bertie’s name… and there we have it!
I can’t wait to share Bertie with you April 7!