But I am.
And then I ran across this photo and it made it worse.
My brother Kim is dressed up and ready to go somewhere (if I have my facts straight, it was his high school graduation.) My brother Doug got stuck holding me and my sister Shelley looks happy for whatever adventure lies ahead.
I love this photo for a variety of reasons.
• It is one of the few photos in existence that shows me with my three siblings. Doug married a year later and started his own family.
• I was cute then (I outgrew that stage pretty quickly).
• My two brothers aren’t paying any attention to the camera because they are both looking at me like I might spontaneously combust at any given moment.
• My sister and I are both looking at someone. That someone probably being my mom who was obviously doing a good job of making me smile.
• When I tell people I was an accidental afterthought to my parents’ first three kids, this clearly illustrates my point. Not everyone brings home a newborn when you already have three kids who are 19. 17 and 14.
• You have to love the 1970s processing that makes Doug and Kim look like Oompa Loompas while Shelley looks ghost-like.
Sometimes, taking a little walk down memory lane is a good thing.
She Who Loves Old Family Photos