One thing I know for a fact: if you want to write and be a writer, you need to practice writing every day.
It can be hard to squeeze in time to do this, but if you truly want to write, make the time.
There are a lot of different ways you can practice writing.
• Write in a Journal
• Write letters that you have no intention of ever mailing
• Write a short story
• Write a poem
• Write an obituary for a character and work backward to create the story
• Write an essay (my favorite part of the summer so far… etc.)
• Write a colorful description of what you see around you, then write what you hear, what you smell, what you feel.
• Write a list of the top 10 things you love about today.
If all you can eke it is a few minutes a day to write, make sure you do it. It gets those creative juices flowing, helps you fine tune your voice and hopefully keeps you inspired to keep trying.